District Superintendent Services
The BOCES Superintendent is the liaison between the local districts and the New York State Education Department (NYSED). Responsibilities include facilitating communication between NYSED and the districts, and assisting in the implementation of New York State education law and the regulations of the Board of Regents and the Commissioner of Education, with a focus on helping districts comply with all aspects of Race to the Top initiatives.
The duties of the District Superintendent also include, but are not limited to, the following:
Upon request of a local component district Board of Education, the District Superintendent may act as a consultant in the selection of a Superintendent of Schools, including the recruitment, screening and evaluation of candidates.
In collaboration with NYSED, the BOCES Superintendent is also available to consult with local school districts on a variety of education issues such as:
- Facilitating communication between and among districts, local agencies and the State Education Department
- Providing leadership as a regional representative of the Commissioner
- Supporting the interpretation, clarification and implementation of new state regulations
- Assisting in understanding the requirements of management and planning of building projects
- Providing assistance to non-public schools
- Investigating boundary disputes between districts
- Approving BOCES service contracts and cross-contracts
- Assisting in the development of education policy in collaboration with area legislators on behalf of public education